News

The Washington Post: Explosion of U.S. Tech Jobs Concentrated in Just Five Metro Areas, Study Finds

Smart city and global network concept.

The explosion of top-tier tech jobs has clustered in a handful of coastal hubs, expanding the wealth and innovation differential that’s draining talent from the rest of the nation, new research shows.

Just five metro areas — Boston, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose and Seattle — snapped up 90 percent of the 256,063 tech jobs created from 2005 to 2017, according to a joint report released Monday from the Brookings Institution and the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation. The remaining 10 percent was divvied up among 377 urban areas.

View full article in The Washington Post